This website is devoted to the my travels through the
universe. Most of the drawings were done from suburban
skies in Central Maryland with a 155mm refractor or smaller
telescope. In part, the reason for this website is to show
what can be seen visually from a moderate light-polluted
location with a modest-sized telescope. It is my hope to
persuade others to join me in enjoying the night sky even
when unable to travel to pristine skies.
I have been an amateur astronomer since the mid-1960s. I
have used several telescopes over the years and currently
own 6 telescopes as outlined below:
5215 Durham Road East
Columbia, Maryland 21044
Richard Orr's Astronomy Drawings
1) 60mm, f15, achromatic, Monolux Refractor (#4380) -- this was my first telescope
(early 1960s) and I have never been able to part with it. I currently have it mounted on
my 155mm Refractor.
2) 155mm, f7, apochromatic-triplet, Astrophysics Starfire Refractor -- this is the
telescope I usually use from the deck of my house in suburban Maryland. This is my
most used telescope.
3) 110mm, f7, apochromatic-triplet, William Optics FluroStar Refractor -- I use this
telescope usually when I spend a few hours with the local astronomy club at our
nearby semi-dark sites at Alpha Ridge Park and Carr's Mills Park.
4) 85mm, f6.6, apochromatic-triplet, Orion Eon ED-X2 Refractor -- this is my
airline/travel telescope or when I need a rich-field telescope.
5) 457.2mm f4.5 Dobsonian by Obsession -- this is my dark-sky star-party telescope
or the one I use when I wish to go deep into the cosmos.
6) 100mm Hydrogen-alpha telescope by Lunt (DSII/100T) -- used for exploring the
chromosphere of the sun.
What is new:
October 16, 2019 -- Added drawing of the Red Giant R Lyrae in Lyra
October 15, 2019 -- Added drawing of the Multiple Star Sheliak (Beta Lyrae) in Lyra
October 12, 2019 -- Added drawing of the Reflection Nebula NGC 1788 in Orion
October 11, 2019 -- Added drawing of the Open Clusters NGC 1807 & NGC 1817 in Taurus
October 7, 2019 -- Added drawing of Rotanev's Triangle (Struve 2703) in Delphinus
October 6, 2019 -- Added drawing of the Open Cluster, Harvard 20, in Sagitta
Last updated 16-October-2019